Can I eat that or can’t I? There is nothing like growing a whole new human to make you question everything you put in your mouth. The truth is, most foods are perfectly safe during pregnancy, but of course, there are exceptions.
While pregnant you should limit your intake of white (albacore) tuna to no more than 6oz. per week. You’ll need to watch your caffeine consumption as well. It is recommended that pregnant women consume no more than 200mg of caffeine per day – that’s about one 12oz. cup. Be aware that caffeine is found in tea, chocolate, soda, and energy drinks as well.
Foods you’ll need to avoid completely are:
• Raw or undercooked meat, including hot dogs and pates or spreads
• Raw fish (no sushi)
• High-mercury fish such as shark, tilefish, king mackerel, swordfish
• Raw eggs (no raw cookie dough)
• Lightly cooked eggs
• Unpasteurized milk or juice
• Unpasteurized soft cheeses such as queso blanco, queso fresco, brie, feta, Camembert
• Raw sprouts, particularly alfalfa sprouts
I hope that helps, please post any questions you might have!